Teacher Licensure

Gaining Utah Licensure Through BYU

How Gaining Utah Licensure Through BYU Works

Once the student's bachelor's degree has been posted by the university (about 3–4 weeks after graduation) and his/her licensure requirements are fulfilled, the Education Advisement Center (350 MCKB) will recommend the student for licensure in the State of Utah.

The Education Advisement Center will then email the student, providing instructions that must be followed to complete the licensure process with the Utah State Office of Education (USOE).

The teaching license will be issued to the student by USOE upon completion of the process and payment of fees.

BYU Utah Licensure Requirements

Contact the Education Advisement Center if you have any questions regarding these requirements using our site’s contact info.

  • Complete a teaching program
  • Pass approved PRAXIS II exam(s)
  • Pass the OPI (if applicable)
  • Fingerprint Background Clearance
  • Complete all graduation requirements
  • Complete State of Utah licensing requirements

Commonly Asked Questions

Utah Licensure Resources

Utah State Board of Education Website

Renew Utah License