Skip to main content

School Leadership Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of this program?

This program is for teachers who want to become principals and/or other administrators in education settings. Students who complete the BYU School Leadership Program will receive a Masters in Education degree (MEd) as well as preparation and clearance to apply for an administrative license in Utah.

How many years of teaching experience do I need to apply to the School Leadership Program?

You need to have three years of teaching experience with a current level 2 license in Utah (or its equivalent).

How long are my GRE, MAT, LSAT, or GMAT scores valid?

Your test scores are valid for five years. If you need additional copies of them, contact the test provider or ETS.

Do I need to take all four tests?

No, only one is required.

How long does it take to complete each track?

  • The LPP track is one year, full time; it begins during spring term (April) and ends in August of the following year.
  • The ExSL track is generally two years, part-time; it begins in summer term (June) and ends in April of the second year.

When are applications due?

Applications are due January 15th.

Where and how do I turn in my application?

Apply for the BYU MEd School Leadership Program online at the BYU Grad Studies website by the due date.

(If applying for the Licensure Only Program, please click here to apply directly to the EDLF Department.)

How many people are accepted into each program each year?

Each track accepts about 12–15 students.

How much does the program cost?

Tuition for the LPP Track runs about $11,000 in one year.

Tuition for the ExSL Track runs about $13,500 over two years.

Can I apply for both LPP and ExSL?

You can only apply for one program through Graduate Studies. However, if things should change and you should decide on a different track after you apply, contact us and we will make a note in your file.

Is my undergraduate major degree appropriate for this program?

If you have a Level 2 teaching license and at least a 3.0 GPA from the last 60 hours of course work, any undergraduate degree is appropriate.

How can I get help with tuition costs?

Refer to the Financial Aid Information on our website for more information.

How many administrative internship hours are required by the State of Utah in order to get my administrative license?

The State of Utah requires 450 hours of supervised administrative internship.  The BYU School Leadership Program will facilitate your internship with trained mentor principals. 

If you are able to attend full-time on the LPP Track, you can do the extensive LPP Internship which places you in three schools as an assistant principal for 4 days a week throughout the year. This incredible internship experience is unique to BYU’s school leadership program and, with about 1,200 internship hours, will provide you with outstanding preparation and networks to support your success as a school principal. 

If you attend part-time on the ExSL Track, you have the flexibility to help identify your internship locations, including internships at the district or state office, as you complete the required 450 hours. You can receive internship hours in your own resident school and for your internship leadership project.

Can I intern at the school where I am currently teaching?

If you are in the ExSL track, you may do up to 100 internship hours in your resident school where you are currently teaching. Your principal will be your mentor principal.

What if I am already working full-time as a TSA, TAA, coach or in another full-time position in a school? Can I get internship credit for my work?

If you are working full-time or part-time in an administrative capacity at a school or in the district, we can certainly work with you to give credit towards your internship hours.

Can I have a say in where I do my administrative internship?

Yes, you have the flexibility to have input into your internship locations. We hope that you will work actively with your internship supervisor to identify potential internship locations that fit your needs. In the ExSL Track, we place you in a lab school at a different level (e.g., elementary or secondary) than where you normally teach. To make your lab school internship easier, we try to place you close to your home or current school.

Who should I have write my letters of recommendation?

You must have 3 letters of recommendation in your application. When you list these recommenders on your BYU Grad Studies application, BYU will contact them to submit their recommendations online.

  • One of your letters of recommendation must be from your current principal or supervisor.
  • One of your letters must be from a supervisor, team leader, former administrator, or others who have functioned in a leadership capacity over you and have an intimate knowledge of your educational experience.
  • Your third letter should be from someone from education who is familiar with and can speak to your leadership capabilities.
  • Letters of recommendation from ecclesiastical leaders are not recommended.

What if English is my second language?

Students for whom English is a second language will need to take the TOEFL. Scores will be evaluated by the Graduate Studies office for both ELL and international students.

What do I do about the ecclesiastical recommendation if I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

A non-LDS student should be endorsed by (1) his or her local ecclesiastical leader if the student is an active member of a congregation, (2) the bishop of the LDS ward in which he or she currently resides, or (3) the nondenominational BYU chaplain.