throw things with your thumb
Read and write words with the digraph th.
- Small, little un-named things
- A Thumb Can Throw Things target text*
- Cards with th words*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will use their thumbs to throw things and will read and write words with th, such as thump, thumb, and thud.
Throw a thing
- Point out that the letters t and h make the /th/ sound.
- Teach the children how to flick a small object with their thumb and comment that a thumb can be used to throw things.
- Tell the children that they will use their thumb to throw small things.
- Comment on the sounds things make when they are thrown (e.g., thump, thud, thwack).
Throw th words
- Display th words and help the children read them.
- Have the children write th words from dictation on small pieces of paper (e.g., think, thick, thump, thud, throw, thing, thin).
- Have the children crumple each paper with a written word on it into a ball.
- Let the children throw and flick th words with their thumbs and then let the children retrieve and read the words.
Read target words in texts
- Read The Thumb Can Throw Things target text (see below) to the children and allow them to thump their thumb on something each time they see a word spelled with th.
- Engage the children in reading the text with you.
- Read The Thumb Can Throw Things target text again, fading support.
- After reading the text, have the children look at the words thump, thud, and thumb.
- Analyze the sounds at the end of the words; have the children put their thumb over the b in thumb and explain that the letter b is silent.
SEEL Target Texts
A Thumb Can Throw Things!
Throw Things with Your Thumb