toil for the royal king and queen
Read and write words spelled with the vowel combinations -oy and -oi; recognize both spellings as having the same pronunciation.
- Royal robe
- Tinfoil and food items (real or pretend)
- Gardening items and soil (real or pretend)
- Royal coins
- Word-building cards
- Shield graphics
- Loyalty Oath to Toil in the Royal Classroom target text
- Toil for the Royal King and Queen target text
State and Model the Objective
The children will pretend to be loyal to a royal king and queen and then read and write words spelled with -oy and -oi, such as royal, royalty, loyal, loyalty, foil, spoil, oil, toil, and soil.
Read the target text Loyalty Oath to Toil in the Royal Classroom
- Make a list of words spelled with -oy and -oi on the board, such as royal, loyal, foil, and soil, and point out that the -oy and -oi spellings both have the same pronunciation.
- Pretend to have a royal king or queen.
- Explain that the subjects (people in the royal kingdom) have to be loyal (give support) to the king or queen.
- Read the Loyalty Oath to Toil in the Royal Classroom target text.
- Discuss the meaning of words in the oath (e.g., an oath is a promise, loyal means true and dependable, toil means to work hard, etc.).
- Have the children find words spelled with -oy and -oi and emphasize that these words are spelled differently but sound the same.
Pretend to toil for the royal king
- Explain that the children will pretend to be royal members of a classroom kingdom.
- Explain that a kingdom includes loyal servants to the royal king or queen who toil to support the royalty.
- Have the children help you make a list of commands the king or queen could give using words spelled with -oy or -oi:
- Spoil the king so he doesn’t have to toil to clean the royal robe.
- Toil (dig) in the soil.
- Broil food in foil and don’t let it spoil.
- Boil and cook food for the royal king.
- Take a royal coin as thanks for being loyal.
- Let the children take turns being a royal king or queen and loyal servants while using the list of commands and props.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- Have the children make new words by using word-building cards to change the beginning or ending sounds:
- Change the beginning sound(s): royal→ loyal; toy→ boy; toil→ soil; foil→ boil; oil→ spoil
- Change the ending sound: joyful→ joyous; toil→ toilet; coil→ coin
Read target words in texts
- Read the Toil for the Royal King and Queen target text to the children.
- Engage the children in reading the target text with you.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Ask the children to listen for -oy and -oi words as you read the text together.
- Have the children make a list of the words spelled with -oy and -oi.
Write about the activity using target words/patterns
- Have the children write words spelled with -oy and -oi on a paper shield: royal, royalty, loyal, loyalty, foil, spoil, oil, toil, and soil.
- Engage the children in interactive writing about their experience.
- Review the target words and phrases from the activities, then present either sentence frames, sentence completion, or question prompts incorporating target words and phrases.
- Provide verbal or written options if needed.
- The _____ (royal) king doesn’t have to _____ (toil).
- Instead, the _____ (loyal) servants _____ (toil) for the king.
- The servants_____ (toil) in the _____ (soil).
- They _____ (toil) in the kitchen where they _____ (boil) and _____ (broil) food.
- The servants _____ (spoil) the _____ (royal) king.
- The _____ (royal) king gives the _____ (loyal) servants _____ (royal) coins to thank them for their _____ (toil).
SEEL Target Texts
Loyalty Oath to Toil in the Royal Classroom
I will be loyal to our royal classroom.
I will be loyal and follow the rules of the royal classroom.
I will toil to work hard in school.
Toil for the Royal King and Queen
They don’t have to toil in the soil.
We don’t want them to spoil their royal robes.
We will toil for the royal king and queen.
We will toil in the soil.
We will toil as we broil and boil their food.
Instead, we will spoil the royal king and queen.
At the end of our toil, we will get a royal coin for all of our toil.
We will get a royal coin for being loyal.
Toil for the Royal King and Queen